The Methodist Society here at Wigton Road can trace its origins back to the Caldewgate Wesleyan Chapel which was erected in 1865 to serve that large populated area of Carlisle. The work expanded and a Sunday school was added in 1874.
As the City developed to the west and the Caldewgate premises became too small and inadequate, a new site on Wigton Road was purchased in 1920.
Much fund raising followed and on 21st June 1928, the foundation stones for this church were laid. A brick laying ceremony by Sunday school scholars and teachers followed two days later.
The Church, which was built by John Laing & Son, was opened on 6th June 1929. The total cost of £17,000 would be about £2,000,000 at today’s prices and provided an excellent suite of premises, which have served us well for almost 80 years.
Our Methodist Society has maintained a Christian witness in this locality for over 140 years. Today our premises are well used by a wide range of groups serving both the Church and community.
If you would like to know more, e mail
A brief history